[Python-Dev] PEP 443 - Single-dispatch generic functions

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri May 24 03:30:01 CEST 2013

On May 23, 2013 4:37 PM, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On 24/05/13 01:04, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> If the stdlib is still staying out of the annotation business, then it
should not be allowed.

> Perhaps it is time to relax that ruling? The standard library acts as a
guide to best practice in Python, and I think that uptake of annotations
has been hurt due to the lack of good examples. Also, anyone with the
conceit that their library or module may someday be in the standard library
cannot afford to use annotations at all.

The idea that decorators determine the meaning of annotations (i.e. they
have no meaning without a decorator) really appeals to me.  I don't see the
imperative for this PEP though, but I'm not opposed.  If there were more
discussion and consensus on annotations + decorators I'd be more convinced.

-eric