[Python-Dev] PEP 428 - pathlib - ready for approval

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 20 18:16:35 CET 2013

Am 20.11.13 17:04, schrieb Eric V. Smith:
> I think the confusion comes from the difference between what NTFS can do
> and what the Win32 (or whatever it's now called) layer allows you to do.
> Rumor has it that the old Posix subsystem allowed NTFS to create 2 files
> in the same directory that differed only by case.

Actually, the Windows API *does* support case-sensitivity in file names,
through the FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS flag to CreateFileW.

Unfortunately, in recent Windows versions, the kernel object manager
(a layer above the file system driver, but below the Windows API)
started setting the kernel variable for case insensitivity of object
names to true, defeating the purpose of this flag:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929110

So if you set ObCaseInsensitive to 0, reboot, then use CreateFileW
with FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS, then you should be able to create
two files in the same directory that differ only in case - i.e. the
system would be case-sensitive.

Regards,
Martin