[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Nov 20 23:04:28 CET 2013

My question is not answered at all, sorry Joao!
I did not ask a teacher for his opinion on Stackless, but the community
about the
validity of pep 404.

I don't want a python 2.7 that does not install correctly, because people
don't read instructions. And exactly that will happen if I submit a modified
python 2.7 to PyPI.

This is a topic on Stackless Python, and I am asking python-dev before I
do it.
But people know this has its limits.

cheers - chris

On 20/11/13 22:15, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> I'd say publishing a high profile installable code with a "python 2.8"
> name would cause a lot of undesired confusion to start with.
>
> I usually lecture on Python to present the language to college
> students and I.T. workers - and explaining away the current versioning
> scheme (use either 2.7 or 3.3) is hard already. Having to add an
> explanation about a downloadable and installable Python 2.8 that would
> be incompatible with extensions compiled in Pypi would be tough. and I
> doubt it could even be done without making your project look bad on
> the process.
>
> Can't you just mark it as "visual studio 2010" version instead?
>
>    js
>  -><-
>

> On 20 November 2013 18:52, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com
> <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>> wrote:
>
>     Howdy friends,
>
>     according to pep 404, there will never be an official Python 2.8.
>     The migration path is from 2.7 to 3.x.
>
>     I agree with this strategy in almost all consequences but this one:
>
>     Many customers are forced to stick with Python 2.X because of other
>     products, but they require a Python 2.X version which can be compiled
>     using Visual Studio 2010 or better.
>     This is considered an improvement and not a bug fix, where I disagree.
>
>     So I see many Python 2.7 repositories on BB/GH which are hacked to
>     support
>     VS 2010, but they are not converted with the same quality in mind
>     that fits our standards.
>

>     My question
>     -----------
>
>     I have created a very clean Python 2.7.6+ based CPython with the
>     Stackless
>     additions, that compiles with VS 2010, using the adapted project
>     structure
>     of Python 3.3.X, and I want to publish that on the Stackless
>     website as the
>     official "Stackless Python 2.8". If you consider Stackless as
>     official ;-) .
>
>     This compiler change is currently the only deviation from CPython 2.7,
>     but we may support a few easy back-ports on customer demand. We
>     don'd add
>     any random stuff, of course.
>
>     My question is if that is safe to do:
>     Can I rely on PEP 404 that the "Python 2.8" namespace never will clash
>     with CPython?
>
>     And if not, what do you suggest then?
>     It will be submitted by end of November, thanks for your quick
>
>     all the best -- Chris
>
>     --
>     Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer at stackless.com
>     <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>>
>     Software Consulting          :     Have a break! Take a ride on
>     Python's
>     Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :    *Starship*
>     http://starship.python.net/
>     14482 Potsdam                :     PGP key -> http://pgp.uni-mainz.de
>     phone +49 173 24 18 776 <tel:%2B49%20173%2024%2018%20776>  fax +49
> [...]

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023