[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 21 22:17:24 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> Concerning the version number, I thought the intention of
> PEP 404 was simply to say that the PSF would not be releasing
> anything called Python 2.8, not to forbid anyone *else*
> from doing so.
>
> Or am I wrong about that?
>
> If I'm right, there's nothing stopping Christian from
> releasing Stackless Python 2.8 with whatever improvements
> he wants. If it includes other improvements beyond the
> change of compiler, it may even deserve the higher
> version number.

If so, I still think it's a very bad idea to use a version number bump for
a compiler change -- that's not at all what the version number means. That
version number specifies a version of the code, and a version of the
language (and library, not a particular ABI -- after all, how many
different binary versions of python2.7 are out there now? Multiple
platforms, multiple bit-depths, etc.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov