[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Nov 21 22:43:10 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> Concerning the version number, I thought the intention of
> PEP 404 was simply to say that the PSF would not be releasing
> anything called Python 2.8, not to forbid anyone *else*
> from doing so.
>
> Or am I wrong about that?

Well, it's essentially BSD open source. We can't stop anyone from doing
anything when it comes to code.

> If I'm right, there's nothing stopping Christian from
> releasing Stackless Python 2.8 with whatever improvements
> he wants.

You're right, there is nothing legally stopping him.

> If it includes other improvements beyond the
> change of compiler, it may even deserve the higher
> version number.

I disagree with that. Python-dev will not be releasing Python 2.8, ever
(that's what PEP 404 states). If I decided to start making decisions of
what constituted Python 2.8 outside of python-dev then it really isn't a
new feature release and thus does not deserve the number as it isn't a
release from the collective decision-making of the core developers of
Python. That's why so many people lept up initially when Christian
said  "Stackless
Python 2.8"; it isn't a true successor and no one wants to confuse users
into thinking that.