[Python-Dev] Support keyword in PEP URL?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Oct 12 05:28:10 CEST 2013

Victor Stinner writes:

Quoting someone else:

 >> For that matter, what names would you give to the myriad unicode
 >> peps?

For what value of "you"?  ISTM that's important.

 > Let me try to name PEPs related to Unicode:

Of the ones you suggest, the only one that rings bells for me is
"surrogateescape".  If it's not mnemonic *to me*, it's not useful *to
me*.  (I.e., if python-dev can reach a workable consensus on
nicknames, it doesn't really matter what I think.  But if -- as I
suspect -- many people will have different opinions about good
nicknames for some PEPs, there won't be such a consensus.)

Of the several hundred (and rapidly growing) PEPs, I only ever care
about a dozen at a time (and some of those are fixed for all time: PEP
0, PEP 1, PEP 8).  I have my own private nicknames for those PEPs.
(Oddly enough, PEP 0, PEP 1, and PEP 8 are "pep0", "pep1", and
"pep8". ;-)

I think that more generally useful would be a PyPI package that grabs
the PEP 0 list, parses it into a database, and adds a "nickname"
column, plus a UI that allows assigning a personal nick to a PEP,
lookup with fuzzy matching on nicks, and optionally sending the URL to
the preferred browser.  Sharing nicks and keywords (or tags, see
below) would be a nice feature, too.

N.B.  "Keyword" isn't the right term for what you want.  I think
"nickname" is better.  E.g., "unicode" is a fine keyword, but it
applies to many PEPs, even if restricted to only those PEPs that
directly affect the Unicode implementation.  An URL like
http://www.python.org/peps/by-keyword/unicode should return a list of
all of them IMHO.  I think of "keywords" as tags that are formally
assigned by the project, "tags" as an informal social networking
device.