[Python-Dev] Support keyword in PEP URL?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 06:04:48 CEST 2013

On 12 Oct 2013 11:15, "Victor Stinner" <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/10/12 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
> >> What do you propose in cases like this? Should the keyword always refer
> >> to the same PEP it did in the past, even when that PEP is no longer as
> >> relevant given later PEPs? Or should the keyword reach a different,
> >> newer PEP if that newer PEP becomes a “more relevant” PEP for the
> >> keyword?
> >
> > Heh, that was the same example I was going to use.  :)
> >
> > Another question:  if the later PEP gets the appropriate name, what name
> > then gets applied to the older one(s)?
>
> As I wrote in my first message, if changing identifier for draft PEP
> is an issue, an option is to only add a textual identifier to accepted
> PEPs.

RFCs are referenced by number. Standards are referenced by number.
Nicknames are simply too ambiguous to be scalable.

If you want a self explanatory reference, use the full PEP title, as that's
what it is for (RFCs and standards also have titles for the same reason).

Adopting a suitable set of keywords (like unicode, import, builtins,
syntax, stdlib, cpython) could be interesting, though.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com