[Python-Dev] Offtopic: OpenID Providers

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Thu Sep 5 22:36:51 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 02:07:11PM -0500, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> >>   OpenID lived a short life and died a quiet death. I'm afraid Persona
> >> wouldn't live even that much. Dead-born idea, in my so humble opinion.
> >
> I was completely unaware of OpenID's demise.

   There was no demise. Because there was no take-off. OpenID was never
popular. I can remember a very limited set of major sites that allow
login using OpenID: SourceForge, LiveJournal, BitBucket. The first two
in the list allow limited login. BitBucket doesn't allow even that. They
only allow full-featured login if you have already created an account
and linked your OpenID URL with that account.
   You cannot login using OpenID to most interesting popular sites.
GMail? No. Twitter? No. Facebook? FriendFeed? identi.ca? No, no, no.
   Small uninteresting blogs? Yes, but who cares?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name