[Python-Dev] PEP 450 adding statistics module

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Sep 8 19:51:57 CEST 2013

Never mind, I found the patch and the issue. I really think that the
*PEP* is ready for inclusion after the open issues are changed into
something like Discussion or Future Work, and after adding a more
prominent link to the issue with the patch. Then the *patch* can be
reviewed some more until it is ready -- it looks very close already.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Going over the open issues:
>
> - Parallel arrays or arrays of tuples? I think the API should require
> an array of tuples. It is trivial to zip up parallel arrays to the
> required format, while if you have an array of tuples, extracting the
> parallel arrays is slightly more cumbersome. Also for manipulating of
> the raw data, an array of tuples makes it easier to do insertions or
> removals without worrying about losing the correspondence between the
> arrays.
>
> - Requiring concrete sequences as opposed to iterators sounds fine.
> I'm guessing that good algorithms for doing certain calculations in a
> single pass, assuming the full input doesn't fit in memory, are quite
> different from good algorithms for doing the same calculations without
> having that worry. (Just like you can't expect to use the same code to
> do a good job of sorting in-memory and on-disk data.)
>
> - Postponing some algorithms to Python 3.5  sounds fine.
>
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> On 09/08/2013 06:52 AM, Ryan wrote:
>>>

>>> ...what's a PEP dictator?
>>

>> The person tasked with deciding on the fate of an individual PEP.
>>
>> --
>> ~Ethan~
>

> --

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)