[Python-Dev] PEP 447: add type.__locallookup__

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Sep 12 16:42:39 CEST 2013

On 9 Sep, 2013, at 20:23, Jan Kaliszewski <zuo at chopin.edu.pl> wrote:

> Is '__locallookup__' a really good name? In Python, *local* -- especially in context of *lookups* -- usually associates with locals() i.e. a namespace of a function/method execution frame or a namespace of a class, during *definition* of that class... So '__locallookup__' can be confusing.
>
> Why not just '__getclassattribute__' or '__classlookup__', or '__classattribute__'...?

I don't particularly like __locallookup__ either, but haven't found a better name yet.  "__lookup_in_class__" was the best alternative I could come up with, and that feels different than other special methods.  The name in the PEP is more or less derived from _PyType_Lookup, with "local" meaning "only in this class, don't recurse in the rest of the MRO".

Ronald