[Python-Dev] PEP 453: Explicit bootstrapping of pip

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Sep 17 18:25:42 CEST 2013

This PEP looks great to me.  Thanks to everyone involved.

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 00:46:01 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Reducing the burden of actually installing a third-party package should
> also decrease the pressure to add every useful module to the standard
> library. This will allow additions to the standard library to focus more
> on why Python should have a particular tool out of the box instead of
> using the general difficulty of installing third-party packages as
> justification for inclusion.

I don't think this PEP changes the inclusion calculus, because I don't
think we've given any real weight to that in stdlib inclusion decisions.
I think the decision making is already focused on why Python should have
a particular tool out of the box.

The only context I recall where "installation difficulty" has been
considered relevant is the issue of corporate users restricted from
installing 3rd party packages...which will not be affected at all by
this PEP.

--David