[Python-Dev] asdl.py and Python-ast.[hc]

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 15:46:44 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:28:46 -0400,
> Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> a écrit :
> > 2013/9/26 Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com>:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Earlier this morning I had a slight tackle with a couple of the 3.4
> > > bots (sorry everyone!). I fixed some problems in asdl.py -
> > > http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/21d46e3ae60c - and used the 'with'
> > > statement. Some bots don't have Python 2.6+ and couldn't bootstrap
> > > Python-ast.h/c
> > >
> > > Two questions:
> > >
> > > * Should I always check-in Python-ast.h and Python-ast.c when I
> > > touch asdl* ? The generated files are unchanged, it's only the
> > > timestamp that changed.
> > > * Can we, in theory, use new Pythons for asdl* code, because
> > > Python-ast.* are, in fact, checked in so they don't have to be
> > > rebuilt by the bots or users?
> >
> > We should have the buildbots run "make touch", so they don't need to
> > run asdl_c.py.
>
> So, you're gonna like this:
>
> hg --config extensions.touch=Tools/hg/hgtouch.py touch -v
> Tools/hg/hgtouch.py:21: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in
> Python 2.6
> *** failed to import extension touch from Tools/hg/hgtouch.py: invalid
> syntax (hgtouch.py, line 21)
> hg: unknown command 'touch'
>
> http://buildbot.python.org/all/buildslaves/bolen-ubuntu
>
> (that buildbot runs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, for the record)

We have to define a clear boundary between what needs to be compatible to
old Pythons and what doesn't. As far as auto-generated files are concerned,
once we set up the bots properly and fix the .hgtouch bugs, there's no
reason for anyone to need an old Python for anything except the hgtouch
extension itself. But the latter has to be back-ported to work on older
Pythons (I suppose from 2.4, or is there reason to go earlier?)

FWIW Antoine, I'll be happy to help with the buildbot setup, but you'll
have to tell me how to get access to our buildbot scripts :-)

Eli