[Python-Dev] death to 2.7; long live 2.7

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:18:49 CEST 2014

On 10 April 2014 02:58, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> What will a lack of provided installers do to Windows support? It's
>> easy enough on Linux to say "either build it from source, or let your
>> upstream package provider build it for you", but AIUI, most Windows
>> users want to get a ready-made binary.
>
> It's not that I don't think Windows installers are important, but rather
> that Martin has indicated he is (completely reasonably) not interested
> in indefinitely making 2.7 installers.

I would assume that ActiveState, Enthought and Anaconda are the people
we should be expecting to provide Windows binaries once the core team
stop doing so. In all honesty, if none of those 3 companies can see a
business case for providing 2.7.x binaries for Windows, then that
demonstrates pretty effectively that doing so isn't worth the effort.

Paul.