[Python-Dev] Language Summit notes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 10 20:58:25 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  There was a small discussion about state of CFFI for standard library
>> inclusion. Alex and David Beazley are supposed to
>> work on cleaning PLY for the same. General opinion was that it will be
>> hidden as a private part of the standard lib and to
>> be used by the language only.
>>

> No, the opinion was that it _shouldn't_ be hidden as a private part of the
> standard library :) But some cleanup needs to happen before it can be added
> to the stdlib.

Huh, I totally missed this (and I just gave Kushal a confused answer when
he asked me about it in person). Can someone please post here what the plan
is exactly? I don't want to press for a PEP, but I would at least like to
understand the plan for CFFI and PLY before it is executed, since I have
never had to use either one, and it feels like each of these will require
some commitment to maintenance once they are in, in addition to cleanup
before they go in. And no, waving hands and saying "there's already a blog
post about CFFI somewhere" is not good enough. I want the full description
of the plan written up here in python-dev. Blog links might serve to
clarify the motivation though.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)