[Python-Dev] Language Summit notes

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:25:15 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> There was a small discussion about state of CFFI for standard library
>>> inclusion. Alex and David Beazley are supposed to
>>> work on cleaning PLY for the same. General opinion was that it will be
>>> hidden as a private part of the standard lib and to
>>> be used by the language only.
>>

>> No, the opinion was that it _shouldn't_ be hidden as a private part of the
>> standard library :) But some cleanup needs to happen before it can be added
>> to the stdlib.
>

> Huh, I totally missed this (and I just gave Kushal a confused answer when he
> asked me about it in person). Can someone please post here what the plan is
> exactly? I don't want to press for a PEP, but I would at least like to
> understand the plan for CFFI and PLY before it is executed, since I have
> never had to use either one, and it feels like each of these will require
> some commitment to maintenance once they are in, in addition to cleanup
> before they go in. And no, waving hands and saying "there's already a blog
> post about CFFI somewhere" is not good enough. I want the full description
> of the plan written up here in python-dev. Blog links might serve to clarify
> the motivation though.

The discussion happened leading up to the language summit in 2013.

ply: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-February/124389.html
pycparser: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-February/124341.html
(earlier part of same discussion)

My recollection was that we'd add a cleaned-up ply to the stdlib and
leave pycparser as a private implementation detail of cffi.

-eric