[Python-Dev] Appeal for reviews

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 02:05:55 CEST 2014

On 12 Apr 2014 18:08, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/12/2014 2:58 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>
>> I realize that core developer time is scarce, so I have started to only
>> work on patches after I've confirmed that someone is available and
>> interested to review them. However, it would be great if some people
>> could find time to look at the issues above as well. Having your
>> contributions just languish in the bugtracker is really dispiriting... I
>> *want* to contribute, and I can't believe that Python is the one
>> open-source project that is not in need of more manpower.
>

> We need either more core developer personpower or more efficient use of
the effort we do have -- or both. We seem to lose people as fast as we
promote them. More efficient use of time might also reduce attrition.

> Right now we seem to be in an awkward phase of the core mentorship
program. We have gotten some new people, like you, submitting multiple
patches, but have not yet gotten enough new people to review and commit.

PEP 462 covers the workflow problems that currently make it difficult not
only to get patches merged, but also makes the existing core developers
reluctant to add new core developers too hastily. We'll eventually get
those resolved, but it's going to take time, since infrastructure support
is incredibly short of contributors (even more so than core development in
general), and there's already a non-trivial backlog of unresolved issues.

Regards,
Nick.

> > But for some
>>
>> reason it seems really hard to actually find something to do.
>

> Review and test other people's patches, if you are not already.  If a 3.4
bugfix patch works and is ready to commit, and plausibly should be applied
to 2.7 (maybe ask), but does not apply cleanly (common), see if the core
developer on the issue would like you to tweak, test, and upload a 2.7
version.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com