[Python-Dev] Appeal for reviews

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 13 00:06:52 CEST 2014

On 4/12/2014 2:58 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> I've accumulated a number of patches in the issue tracker that are
> waiting for someone to review/commit/reject them. I'm eager to make
> corrections as necessary, I just need someone to look the work that I've
> done so far:

If I did not have several Idle patches to review from other new people
like you, I would. Many core developers are at the PyCon conference, so
it may be a few days before they can respond.

> * http://bugs.python.org/issue20951 (SSLSocket.send() returns 0 for
>    non-blocking socket)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue1738 (filecmp.dircmp does exact match
>    only)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue7776 (http.client.HTTPConnection
>    tunneling is broken)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue20177 (Derby #8: Convert 28 sites to
>    Argument Clinic across 2 files)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue19414 (iter(ordered_dict) yields keys
>    not in dict in some circumstances)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue20578 (BufferedIOBase.readinto1 is
>    missing)
>
> * http://bugs.python.org/issue21057 (TextIOWrapper does not support
>    reading bytearrays or memoryviews)

Do you consider any of these 'ready-to-commit'?
* before-fail, after-pass test?
* required doc changes?
* tested patch for all versions that should be patched?
* any new Misc/ACKS entry needed (for new person other than you)?
* checked for stray end-of-line whitespace?

I intentionally omitted news entry. There is a list of commit checks in
in devguide, and a script to do some.

> I realize that core developer time is scarce, so I have started to only
> work on patches after I've confirmed that someone is available and
> interested to review them. However, it would be great if some people
> could find time to look at the issues above as well. Having your
> contributions just languish in the bugtracker is really dispiriting... I
> *want* to contribute, and I can't believe that Python is the one
> open-source project that is not in need of more manpower.

We need either more core developer personpower or more efficient use of
the effort we do have -- or both. We seem to lose people as fast as we
promote them. More efficient use of time might also reduce attrition.

Right now we seem to be in an awkward phase of the core mentorship
program. We have gotten some new people, like you, submitting multiple
patches, but have not yet gotten enough new people to review and commit.

 > But for some
> reason it seems really hard to actually find something to do.

Review and test other people's patches, if you are not already.  If a
3.4 bugfix patch works and is ready to commit, and plausibly should be
applied to 2.7 (maybe ask), but does not apply cleanly (common), see if
the core developer on the issue would like you to tweak, test, and
upload a 2.7 version.

--
Terry Jan Reedy