[Python-Dev] Appeal for reviews

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 14 04:05:57 CEST 2014

Quoting "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>:

> Your modesty is not in question. :-)  An explicit statement that "These
> are ready" allows an experienced developer to give you feedback not
> only about whether the patches are in fact ready, but whether your
> judgment about patches is ready for commit privileges -- in Python
> it's desirable that code be "Pythonic" as well as correct and clean.

For a regular patch, I think this is asking to much. The default
assumption should be that the patch is finished, and not work-in-progress.
If it was, people typically indicate so. But I then regularly ask that
the tracker is not abused as a version control system to develop a
change; it's easy enough to use a Mercurial clone for that.

For gaining commit access, it's really more important that the patch
is factually finished, than that it's author believes it to. If people
get it right the first time often enough, they get commit access.

Regards,
Martin