[Python-Dev] Software integrators vs end users (was Re: Language Summit notes)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 23:08:56 CEST 2014

On 18 April 2014 16:50, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> So I’m not really worried about a competition or anything. I’m mostly worried
> about confusion of users. What you’re suggestion we give to use is *two* ways
> to install Python packages (and 2 or 3 ways to virtualize a Python instance).

Note that one of my requirements was that "pip install foo" *must* do
the right thing in conda environments (whatever we decide the "right
thing" means in that context). It was buried at the end of a long
email though, so it would have been easy to miss.

That means the instructions to new users can be simple and consistent
- use pip commands to manage Python things, conda commands to manage
other stuff. They'll likely discover in fairly short order that the
conda commands also work for Python things, but it can be explained
that not all environments are conda environments, and hence pip works
in more situations than conda does, but at the cost of being specific
to Python packages.

Cheers,
Nick.