[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 1 02:11:51 CET 2014

On 11/30/2014 08:45 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> I don’t make branches in Mercurial because
> i’m afraid I’m going to push a permanent branch to hg.python.org
> <http://hg.python.org> and screw
> something up.

There is no need to be afraid there, Mercurial is not going to let you
push new head/branch unless you explicitly use `hg push --force`.

I you are really paranoid about this, you can configure your Mercurial
to make all new commit as secret (no pushable) and explicitly make
commit ready to push as such. This can be achieved by adding

[phases]
new-commit=secret

See `hg help phases` for details.

--