[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Dec 1 02:25:12 CET 2014

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:11 PM, Pierre-Yves David <pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
>

> On 11/30/2014 08:45 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> I don’t make branches in Mercurial because
>> i’m afraid I’m going to push a permanent branch to hg.python.org
>> <http://hg.python.org> and screw
>> something up.
>
> There is no need to be afraid there, Mercurial is not going to let you push new head/branch unless you explicitly use `hg push --force`.
>
> I you are really paranoid about this, you can configure your Mercurial to make all new commit as secret (no pushable) and explicitly make commit ready to push as such. This can be achieved by adding
>
> [phases]
> new-commit=secret
>
> See `hg help phases` for details.

Yea Benjamin mentioned that the hg.python.org repositories have commit hooks to prevent that from happening too. To be clear the fact I don’t really know Mercurial very well isn’t what I think is a compelling argument for not using Mercurial. It’s mostly a tangent to this PEP which is primarily focused on the “network effects” of using a more popular tool. The technical benefits mostly come from Github generally being a higher quality product than it’s competitors, both FOSS and not.

---
Donald Stufft