[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 1 03:03:42 CET 2014

On 11/29/2014 05:15 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> I also don’t know how to do this. When I’m doing multiple things for CPython
>> my “branching” strategy is essentially using hg diff to create a patch file
>> with my “branch” name (``hg diff > my-branch.patch``), then revert all of my
>> changes (``hg revert —all —no-backup``), then either work on a new “branch”
>> or switch to an old “branch” by applying the corresponding patch
>> (``patch -p1 < other-branch.patch``).
>
> IMO, this is missing out on part of the benefit of a DVCS. When your
> patches are always done purely on the basis of files, and have to be
> managed separately, everything will be manual; and your edits won't
> (normally) contain commit messages, authorship headers, date/time
> stamps, and all the other things that a commit will normally have.
> Using GitHub automatically makes all that available; when someone
> forks the project and adds a commit, that commit will exist and have
> its full identity, metadata, etc, and if/when it gets merged into
> trunk, all that will be carried through automatically.

There is no reason to make this `hg diff` dance (but ignorance).

- You can make plain commit with your changes.
- You can export commit content using `hg export`
- You can change you patch content will all kind of tools (amend,
rebase, etc)
- You can have multiple branches without any issue to handle concurrent
workflow.

We (Mercurial developer) will be again sprinting at Pycon 2015. We can
probably arrange some workflow discussion//training there.

--
Pierre-Yves David