[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 1 03:09:05 CET 2014

On 11/30/2014 08:44 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> For me personally, if I knew a simple patch integrated cleanly and
> passed on at least one buildbot -- when it wasn't a platform-specific
> fix -- then I could easily push a "Commit" button and be done with it
> (although this assumes single branch committing; doing this across
> branches makes all of this difficult unless we finally resolve our
> Misc/NEWS conflict issues so that in some instances it can be
> automated). Instead I have to wait until I have a clone I can push from,
> download a patch, apply it, run the unit tests myself, do the commit,
> and then repeat a subset of that to whatever branches make sense. It's a
> lot of work for which some things could be automated.

The Misc/NEWS issue could be easily solved. Mercurial allow to specify a
custom merge tool for specific file. And I already succesfully wrote
dedicated merge tools for file with similar issue.

I've already discussed that with various people Larry, Nick, etc. And
what is needed now is someone actually doing the work.

Once you have such tool, you can have automatic pull request
merge/rebasing through a web ui. -However-, You can only do that if you
actually own the said interface. Because propriétary plateform are not
going to let your run arbitrary code on their machine.

--
Pierre-Yves David