[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:33:20 CET 2014

On 10 December 2014 at 16:31, Matthieu Bec <mdcb808 at gmail.com> wrote:

> newbie first post on this list, if what follows is of context ...
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm struggling with issue per the subject, read different threads and issue
> http://bugs.python.org/issue15443 that started 2012 still opened as of
> today.
>
> Isn't there a legitimate case for nanosecond support? it's all over the
> place in 'struct timespec' and maybe wrongly I always found python and C
> were best neighbors. That's for the notional aspect.

If you skip down to the more recent 2014 part of the discussion, the
use case has been accepted as valid, but the idea still needs a
concrete change proposal that addresses the various API design and
backwards compatibility issues that arise. Specifically, questions
like:

* preserving compatibility with passing in microsecond values
* how to accept nanosecond values
* how to correctly unpickle old datetime pickle values
* how to update strptime() and strftime()

Cheers,
Nick.