[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:08:30 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM, matthieu bec <mbec at gmto.org> wrote:
> Agreed with Antoine, strftime/strptime are somewhat different concerns.
> Doesn't mean thay cannot be fixed at the same time but it's a bit a
> separate.

Which reminds me... Somewhere else (maybe elsewhere in this thread? maybe
on a bug tracker issue?) someone mentioned that Ruby uses %N for fractions
of a second (and %L specifically for milliseconds). Here's the bit from the
Ruby strftime doc:

%L - Millisecond of the second (000..999)
%N - Fractional seconds digits, default is 9 digits (nanosecond)
          %3N  millisecond (3 digits)
          %6N  microsecond (6 digits)
          %9N  nanosecond (9 digits)
          %12N picosecond (12 digits)

There's no obvious reason I can see to reinvent this particular wheel, at
least the %N spoke. The only question might be whether to modify Python's
existing %f format to accept a precision (defaulting to 6), or add %N in a
manner similar (or identical) to Ruby's semantics.

Skip