[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Jan 7 10:40:15 CET 2014

Am 06.01.2014 14:24, schrieb Victor Stinner:
> Hi,
>
> bytes % args and bytes.format(args) are requested by Mercurial and
> Twisted projects. The issue #3982 was stuck because nobody proposed a
> complete definition of the "new" features. Here is a try as a PEP.

Very nice, thanks.  If I was to make a blasphemous suggestion I would
even target it for Python 3.4.  (No, seriously, this is a big issue
- see the recent discussion by Armin - and the big names involved show
that it is a major holdup of 3.x uptake.)  It would of course depend
a lot on how much code from unicode formatting can be retained or
adapted as opposed to a rewrite from scratch.

cheers,
Georg