[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 10:39:48 CET 2014

On 14 Jan 2014 19:11, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan writes:
>
>  > "Give up" makes it sound like I got tired of arguing without being
>  > convinced rather than admitting I was just plain wrong.
>
> I thought it was something in between (you explicitly said "lenient
> PEP 460" doesn't hurt you, but my understanding was you still believe
> that there's a safer way, and it's the latter you aren't going to try
> to convince folks of).

I did say that at one point (when Guido first objected to the formatb
idea), but I switched to complete agreement after he pointed out the ASCII
assumption embedded in the formatting syntax itself.

>  > While I'll still work on the asciistr proposal,
>
> Thank you for that.  I really wish I had time to, myself, but not for
> several weeks... :-(

Heh, depending on how many quirky edge cases we find, we may still be
working on it by then, especially since there are still a few docs updates
and other fixes I want to get into Python 3.4.

>  > that's unrelated to PEP 460 - it's about making hybrid APIs less
>
> "It" refers to asciistr or to PEP 460?

asciistr

>  > painful to write in Python 3 when you're willing to place the
>  > burden of ensuring ASCII compatibility of binary data on the
>  > calling code.
>
> Versus what?

Versus doing explicit decoding the way urllib.parse does - it only accepts
strict 7-bit ASCII as binary input by default, so you have to decode to
text externally in order to handle arbitrary input that may contain other
bytes.

Cheers,
Nick.