[Python-Dev] python code in argument clinic annotations

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 16 20:36:23 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Yury Selivanov
<yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> The whole discussion of whether clinic should write its output
> right in the source file (buffered or not), or in a separate sidefile,
> started because we currently cannot run the clinic during the build
> process, since it’s written in python.

But that's why the output is checked in. It's the same with the parser
IIRC. (And yes, there's a bootstrap issue -- but that's solved by
using an older Python version.)

> But what if, at some point, someone implements the Tools/clinic.py in
> pure C, so that integrating it directly in the build process will be
> possible?  In this case, the question is — should we use python code
> in the argument clinic DSL?
>
> If we keep it strictly declarative, then, at least, we’ll have this
> possibility in the future.

Sounds like a pretty unlikely scenario. Why would you implement clinic in C?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)