[Python-Dev] undocumented help() function change in Python 3.4?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Mar 11 22:59:20 CET 2014

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:57:36 +0100, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 11.03.2014 15:54, schrieb Guido van Rossum:
> > I'm not sure I agree completely with this lax attitude about the contents of the
> > docs, and especially the What's New parts of it (both Misc/NEWS and
> > Doc/whatsnew/3.4.rst).
>
> I don't think anyone here suggested not to update the whatsnew document.
>
> > I find it very useful to have these pinpoint *exactly*
> > what made it into the tarball or zipfile or whatever other form I happen to find
> > the release -- you don't always have the full hg logs lying around, nor do you
> > always know from which exact revision or tag a tree was built.

As far as NEWS goes, I fixed some issue callouts so they'll be links in
the online version, I deleted a couple redundant entries, I fixed wording
here and there, and I added...three?...entries that were missing but I
found the commits from the versionadded or versionchanged doc updates
they contained that Serhiy found.  I'm sure there are other missing NEWS
entries that weren't caught, so wanting to know *exactly* what is in the
release is a lost cause unless you look at the commit log :) Especially
since the revision that contains the commit related to those added
news entries does *not* contain the news entry I added, so if you had
a tarball built from that revision you wouldn't have that news entry...

--David

PS: Also, sad to say I picked up the What's New task late in the 3.3
release cycle, and even with doing additional work *after* final I did
not finish.  So that document may be missing stuff...and in any case,
What's New never promises to include *everything*.  I have been more
completest in 3.4 than Raymond (intentionally) was for 3.2, but it still
doesn't have *every* enhancement.