[Python-Dev] Who's using VS/Windows to work on Python?

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 14 17:57:47 CET 2014

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> With the recent (excellent) announcements around switching from the current
> Visual Studio Express model to the far more full featured Visual Studio
> Community approach, what will the situation be in relation to using Visual
> Studio Community edition to work on CPython?

It "just works" :)

VS Community is indistinguishable from VS Pro apart from some of the branding and a few features so obscure that I hadn't heard of or used them until I was told they were missing. Also the license, which allows for free use on open-source projects regardless of the company where you work (the limits are for commercial use at companies that can afford the product).

> This thread, and Brian's post regarding renewing MSDN subscriptions made me
> realise we're going to need to be able to explain that to new Windows based
> contributors.

Replace "Express" with "Community" everywhere (once the project migrations go in, since VS Community *2013* isn't a lot of help right now).

I don't know exactly what the situation will be with VS 2015, but there will either be a free Community or a free Express for Desktop (without the 64-bit bug that was in VS 2010 Express), either of which will be fine for working on Python.

Cheers,
Steve