[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 06:03:44 CET 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Then there's this.  http://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/

Wow.... scarily accurate.

http://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/#2d1a13476a5f32c4db27fd7aa89a84f3

Anything to do with git submodules is virtually impossible to
distinguish from an elaborate practical joke. I know this because I
have tried to use them. But there is hope: the git maintainers *do*
accept docs patches.

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html#_configuration_file

Formerly, this said "You will find a description of non-core porcelain
configuration variables in the respective porcelain documentation in
the appropriate manual page.". Did you know that that means it's
acceptable for a third-party git hook to make use of 'git config' to
allow end users to configure it? Neither did I, till I asked on the
mailing list.

However, there are enough git front-ends and tutorials that mean you
can generally ignore the man pages until you need something more
complicated. Basically, consider the git man pages at the same time
you'd consider enabling a Mercurial extension. That's how it seems to
be.

ChrisA