[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 13:31:45 CET 2014

On 29 November 2014 at 23:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> In previous years there was concern about how well supported git was on Windows
> in comparison to Mercurial. However git has grown to support Windows as a first
> class citizen. In addition to that, for Windows users who are not well aquanted
> with the Windows command line there are GUI options as well.

I have little opinion on the PEP as a whole, but is the above
statement true? From the git website, version 2.2.0 is current, and
yet the downloadable Windows version is still 1.9.4. That's a fairly
significant version lag for a "first class citizen".

I like git, and it has a number of windows-specific extensions that
are really useful (more than Mercurial, AFAIK), but I wouldn't say
that the core product supported Windows on an equal footing to Linux.

Paul