[Python-Dev] Can I replace distutils.msvccompiler?

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Sun Feb 15 01:54:14 CET 2015

I'm about to start doing a rework on distutils.msvc[9]compiler.MSVCCompiler for Python 3.5 to be able to handle forward-compatibility better. Right now I've tweaked msvc9compiler enough for VS 2015, but it won't handle later VS versions automatically.

Is there any reason to keep the old msvccompiler and msvc9compiler modules around? If possible I'd like to drop them completely and just have one implementation (probably distutils.msvccompiler.MSVCCompiler again).

Obviously it will be behaviourally compatible with 3.4 and compatible with the CCompiler interface, but it may not be function-for-function compatible with distutils.msvc9compiler (e.g. get_build_version is not useful). Do we need a deprecation period? msvccompiler is mentioned in the docs, but not documented, and msvc9compiler is not even mentioned.

Thanks,

Steve