[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:05:07 CET 2015

On 19 February 2015 at 07:16, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Paul Moore wrote:
>>> I'll add a note to the PEP, but I have no idea how we would even go
>>> about that, so that's all I can do, unfortunately.
>>
>> Are you just looking for
>>
>>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
>>
>> and its references, including the registration procedures
>>
>>     http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.5
>>
>> and the application form at
>>
>>     http://www.iana.org/form/media-types
>>
>> ?
>
> That covers mime types, but not file extensions, so it's not really
> what *I* thought Barry was talking about.

FWIW, registering the vnd.python MIME prefix with IANA has been
vaguely kicking around on my todo list since we switched the PyPA
metadata PEPs over to using JSON. If anyone did decide to follow up on
that idea, the PSF Infrastructure working group mailing list would
likely be a suitable contact address to use (Infra already handles
relationships with other internet registries for DNS et al, and I
can't think of another group better suited to the task).

Cheers,
Nick.