[Python-Dev] easy_install ?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 22:21:19 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there a recommended way to invoke pip from setup.py?  When I specify
> > "tests_require=" and run "python setup.py test", the requirements get
> > installed using setuptools' easy_install function.
>
> The solution is to not do that. A substitute is to specify your test
> requirements in a [test] extra and install them with pip or to run
> tests with tox. This gives control of the installer back to the user
> instead of the setup.py author.

Isn't this a chicken and egg problem?  I currently have

tests_require=['tox'],

and this is exactly what tox recommends:

https://testrun.org/tox/latest/example/basic.html#integration-with-setuptools-distribute-test-commands

Note that my CI box is a CentOS 6.5 with Python 2.6.6, setuptools 0.6.
This is still a very common server configuration.  What is the recommended
way to bootstrap tox in such environment?