[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 01:22:06 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> http://stevedower.id.au/blog/the-python-3-5-installer/

You talk of installing by default into Program Files, and having a
separate per-user installation mode. How do these two installation
targets interact? Suppose someone installs 3.5 globally, then installs
3.6 for self only? Or installs 3.5.1 for self only? I would normally
expect a per-user installation to trump a global one, but this could
make for a lovely dep-hell on a system that's used by one person, who
then isn't sure what was installed as admin and what wasn't.

(Also: I'm assuming that pip would require admin privs if Python is in
Program Files, and won't require admins if it's per-user, right? Same
as the Python installer itself?)

ChrisA