[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 13:01:59 CET 2015

On 3 January 2015 at 23:34, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've put together a short post showing where I've been taking the Windows installer for Python 3.5, since I know there are interested people on this list who will have valuable feedback.
>
> http://stevedower.id.au/blog/the-python-3-5-installer/
>
> Nothing is merged in yet and everything can still change, so I'm keen to hear whatever feedback people have. I've tried to make improvements fairly for first-time users through to sysadmins, but if I've missed something big I'd like to hear about it before we get too close to alpha 1.

Overall, this looks good. One question - will it be possible to
install both 32-bit and 64-bit Python on the same machine? Currently,
you need a custom install to do this (as the default directory doesn't
include the architecture) and IIRC there's some oddness around install
order. It would be nice if installing both versions were a supported
option, both for the "default" install and in custom installs.

Also, what happens now with setting PATH? Is Python (and the scripts
directory) added to PATH by default? If so, what happens when you
install 2 versions of Python?

In case it's not clear, I'm thinking of the impact on build machines,
which often have multiple versions, in both 32- and 64-bit forms,
installed simultaneously (but can also be used as a "normal"
development machine, and for that purpose will want a selected Python
version as the default one.

Also, how does the launcher py.exe fit into the picture? Is it still
installed into the Windows directory? What about for a user install?
Are Python scripts associated with the launcher, and if so, how does
it pick up the version you selected as default?

(Sorry, that was more than one question :-))

Paul