[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:13:43 CET 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 21:47, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>> tl;dr We should have "Add this Python to PATH" as a user choice on the initial
>> installer screen, applicable to whichever install type the user chooses. Details
>> as to why are below.
>
> I agree. I'll work this up before alpha 1. (FWIW, it defaults to unselected.)

Cool. Would you make the new installer keep "Add to PATH" as
unselected by default? I got the impression that the "One Click"
installs would add to PATH, making it reasonable to have the checkbox
selected by default.

> Displaying a warning about other Pythons already being on the path at this point is trickier, but I can probably figure something out.

No big deal if you can't. It's a "nice to have" but not essential.

>> For myself, I'll probably have to use the custom install to get the control I
>> want. But that's suboptimal, as I probably *want* to use the new locations, and
>> having to override the "Custom" default of C:\Python35 to specify "Program
>> Files" is a nuisance. And I bet I'll install a 32-bit Python in "C:\Program
>> Files" rather than "C:\Program Files (x86)" at least once, and probably more
>> than once...
>
> Inclined to agree, and it is possible to make the default on the customise page switch with the Install as Administrator checkbox until it's been manually edited. My main concern is people who want it the old way, but they may not actually exist. Perhaps making the old way trickier is the best way to flush them out sooner...

Having said this, if I can choose "Add to PATH" without needing a
custom install, then probably the only reason I'd be likely to want a
custom install would be to change the path, so the value of the
default is not such a big deal for me personally.

Paul