[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:34:53 CET 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 22:26, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Extension building in general is still a mess on Windows, I hope the
> links above are enough to get you going again!

For building extensions, I have a powershell script that, starting
with a clean machine, downloads and installs everything needed to
build extensions for Python 2.7-3.4 (Python, 32 and 64-bit, SDK
compilers and Visual C for Python 2.7, and some support packages).
It's available at https://github.com/pfmoore/pybuild It's pretty
fragile (largely because the SDK installs are pretty fragile, but also
because it doesn't check if things it wants to install are already
there), but it's good for setting up a new VM from scratch.

It isn't designed for building Python, and I've no idea how well it
would work for that. But you might be able to pick out some parts of
it that would be useful (if nothing else, it includes direct download
URLs for the various components needed).

Paul