[Python-Dev] PEP 493: Redistributor guidance for Python 2.7 HTTPS

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 7 04:10:31 CEST 2015

Cross-posted to redirect discussion.  Replies directed to Python-Ideas.

Erik Bray writes on Python-Dev:
 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
 > > On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 14:22:46 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
 > >>
 > >> The main change from the last version discussed on python-ideas
 > >
 > > Was it discussed there? That list has become totally useless, I've
 > > stopped following it.
 >
 > Considering that a useful discussion of a useful PEP occurred there
 > (not to mention other occasionally useful discussions) I'd say that
 > such a value judgment is not only unnecessary but also inaccurate.

As you point out, the words "totally" and "useless" were unnecessary
and inaccurate respectively.

However, the gist of his post, that the S/N on Python-Ideas has become
substantially lower in the last few months, seems accurate to me.  At
least two recent threads could have been continued on Python-List,
where they would have benefited a lot more users, and they didn't seem
profitable on Python-Ideas since it was quite evident that Those Who
Know About Python were adamantly opposed to the idea as discussed in
the thread, while the proponent kept pushing on that brick wall rather
than seeking a way around it.

I myself continue to follow Python-Ideas, Nick and other committers
are posting here daily, and even Guido manages to pop up occasionally,
so that may be no problem (or even a good thing if it results in
educating and inviting new committers in the long run).  But I think
it's worth considering whether it we should cultivate a bit more
discipline here.

Again, discussion on Python-Ideas, please.