[Python-Dev] PEP 492: async/await in Python; version 4

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 1 17:31:20 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Yury Selivanov schrieb am 30.04.2015 um 03:30:
> > 1. Terminology:
> > - *native coroutine* term is used for "async def" functions.
>
> When I read "native", I think of native (binary) code. So "native
> coroutine" sounds like it's implemented in some compiled low-level
> language. That might be the case (certainly in the CPython world), but it's
> not related to this PEP nor its set of examples.
>

> > We should discuss how we will name new 'async def' coroutines in
> > Python Documentation if the PEP is accepted.
>
> Well, it doesn't hurt to avoid obvious misleading terminology upfront.

I think "obvious[ly] misleading" is too strong, nobody is trying to mislead
anybody, we just have different associations with the same word. Given the
feedback I'd call "native coroutine" suboptimal (even though I proposed it
myself) and I am now in favor of using "async function".

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)