[Python-Dev] Unicode literals in Python 2.7

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat May 9 19:22:53 CEST 2015

On 5/9/2015 5:39 AM, Adam Bartoš wrote:
> I already have a solution in Python 3 (see
> https://github.com/Drekin/win-unicode-console,
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/win_unicode_console), I was just
> considering adding support for Python 2 as well. I think I have an
> working example in Python 2 using ctypes.

Is this going to get released in 3.5, I hope?  Python 3 is pretty
limited without some solution for Unicode on the console... probably the
biggest deficiency I have found in Python 3, since its introduction. It
has great Unicode support for files and processing, which convinced me
to switch from Perl, and I like so much else about it, that I can hardly
code in Perl any more (I still support a few Perl programs, but have
ported most of them to Python).

I wondered if all your recent questions about Py 2 were as a result of
porting the above to Py 2... I only have one program left that I was
forced to write in Py 2 because of library dependencies, and I think
that library is finally being ported to Py 3, whew!  So while I laud
your efforts, and no doubt they will benefit some folks for a few years
yet, I hope never to use your Py 2 port myself!