[Python-Dev] Unicode literals in Python 2.7

Adam Bartoš drekin at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:28:25 CEST 2015

Glenn Linderman wrote:
> Is this going to get released in 3.5, I hope?  Python 3 is pretty
> limited without some solution for Unicode on the console... probably the
> biggest deficiency I have found in Python 3, since its introduction. It
> has great Unicode support for files and processing, which convinced me
> to switch from Perl, and I like so much else about it, that I can hardly
> code in Perl any more (I still support a few Perl programs, but have
> ported most of them to Python).

I'd love to see it included in 3.5, but I doubt that will happen. For one
thing, it's only two weeks till beta 1, which is feature freeze. And
mainly, my package is mostly hacking into existing Python environment. A
proper implementation would need some changes in Python someone would have
to do. See for example my proposal
http://bugs.python.org/issue17620#msg234439. I'm not competent to write a
patch myself and I have also no feedback to the proposed idea. On the other
hand, using the package is good enough for me so I didn't further bring
attention to the proposal.