[Python-Dev] [python-committers] How shall we conduct the Python 3.5 beta and rc periods? (Please vote!)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed May 13 09:59:44 CEST 2015

On 05/12/2015 05:19 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Workflow 0: -0
> Workflow 1: +1
> Workflow 2:  +0
>
> That's taking into account the clarification that the buildbots will
> be set up to track the 3.5.x branch after the beta is forked, and that
> Larry will also push the 3.5rcX repo to hg.python.org
> <http://hg.python.org> for branch testing.

I sort of assumed the buildbots would start building the 3.5 branch once
it was created, yes.  (Are there any branches in the cpython repo that
they ignore?)

When you say "branch testing", you mean "running the buildbots against
it"?  Right now the UI for doing that is pretty clunky. Kicking off a
build against a server-side clone (iirc) requires clicking through a
couple web pages, filling out a form, and clicking on a teeny-tiny
button.  It would help *tremendously* here if I could get this
automated, so I could run a script locally that made everything happen.

Is there a remote API for starting builds?  Or existing automation of
any kind?  Who should I talk to about this stuff?

> (Possible alternative plan for the latter: rc1 isn't until August, and
> I could aim to have a pilot Kallithea instance set up by then that
> uses bugs.python.org <http://bugs.python.org> credentials to log in.
> If we didn't get that up and running for some reason, BitBucket could
> still be a fallback plan)

I'm happy to consider it.  My proposed workflow is only using a very
small set of features, and I gather Kallithea already has those
features.  Bolting on authentication from bugs.python.org would make it
*less* friction than using Bitbucket.

But I couldn't say for sure until I got to try it.  So get cracking, Nick!

//arry/