[Python-Dev] Reminder: Python 3.5 beta 1 will be tagged tomorrow

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri May 22 21:53:34 CEST 2015

Howdy howdy.  It's-a me, Larry, your friendly neighborhood Python 3.5
Release Manager.

Somewhere around 2 or 3pm tomorrow I expect to tag Python 3.5 beta 1.
We'll actually release beta 1 on Sunday, once the binary installers are
all built.

Beta 1 is also feature-freeze, meaning no new features may be added to
3.5 without my permission.  Since it seems useful to have a specific
cutoff time, please stop adding features at ** 8pm Saturday UTC **.
(That's 1pm Pacific Daylight Time.  It's also almost exactly 24 hours
from... now.)

I remind you that this time we're trying something new: we're going to
create the 3.5 branch when we release beta 1, allowing feature
development (for 3.6) to continue in trunk.  At the point that I check
in and push beta 1, I'll also merge all checkins from trunk back into
the 3.5 branch.  After that it'll be responsibility of the person
checking in to check their bug fixes in to the appropriate place.  So
please keep in mind: once the 3.5 branch becomes generally available on
Sunday, the usual rules for a release branch will apply: bug fixes for
3.5 should be checked in to the 3.5 branch and get merged forward into
trunk.

If you have new features you want to ship with Python 3.5, please check
them in as soon as possible!

Thank you for helping to make Python better,

//arry/