[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables (was: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu May 28 19:19:29 CEST 2015

On May 28, 2015, at 09:23 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

>Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>I do think single-file executables are an important piece to Python's
>>long-term competitiveness.
>
>Really? It seems to me that desktop development is dying. What are the
>critical use-cases for a single file executable?
>
>And I'd note that getting a good way to use Python to develop for iOS,
>Android, and Mobile Windows is FAR more critical!  -- maybe that's the same
>problem ?

Well, in my world they are the same problem!  With mobile, IoT, etc. you can't
or shouldn't assume that Python will be available in the base environment.
There are ways to deploy to the various new world of devices that perhaps
don't require single-file executables, but those are more complicated to
manage, and they still have to ship the Python environment along with the
application code.

Cheers,
-Barry