[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables (was: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Sat May 30 00:33:17 CEST 2015

Paul Moore wrote:
> One mildly annoying thing is that python3.dll is only installed in <python install dir>\DLLs, which
> typically isn't on PATH. So actually using the limited API from your own application fails by default.
> Fixing that's mostly a user admin issue, though (and you can just link to the full API and avoid the whole problem).

I didn't even notice that 3.4 (and earlier?) were doing that, so I changed/fixed it by accident :)

Python 3.5 installs python3.dll alongside python35.dll, so it'll go into the user's Python directory by default or into the system directory for an all-users installation. The embeddable distro includes python3.dll alongside the other DLLs as well.

Cheers,
Steve