[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables (was: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 23:08:43 CEST 2015

On 29 May 2015 05:25, "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> OK, I'm really confused here:
>
> 1) what the heck is so special about go all of a sudden? People have been
writing and deploying single file executables built with C and ++, and
whatever else? forever. (and indeed, it was a big sticking point for me
when I introduced python in my organization)

For scientific Python folks, the equivalent conversations I have are about
Julia.

If you're not used to thinking of Python's competitive position as "best
orchestration language, solid competitor in any given niche", then the rise
of niche specific competitors like Go & Julia can feel terrifying, as the
relatively narrow user base changes the trade-offs you can make in the
language & ecosystem design to better optimise them for that purpose.

We don't need to debate the accuracy of that perception of risk, though. If
it motivates folks to invest time & energy into providing one-obvious-way
to do cross-platform single-file distribution, lower barriers to adoption
for PyPy, and work on a Rust-style memory ownership based model for
concurrent execution of subinterpreters across multiple cores, then the
community wins regardless :)

Cheers,
Nick.