[Python-Dev] Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri May 29 01:01:55 CEST 2015

Hello,

On Fri, 29 May 2015 08:38:44 +1000

[]

> In that vein, it might be interesting to see what could be done with
> MicroPython in terms of providing a lightweight portable Python
> runtime without CPython's extensive integration with the underlying
> OS.

Thanks for mentioning that. That's definitely what I have on my mind,
actually I wanted to do long ago a Lua-esque hack of being able to cat
together an interpreter and a script, so resulting executable would
just run the script. What stopped me is that it would be Lua-esque-ly
useless, as how much useful one can do with a bare script without
dependencies?

And MicroPython definitely has some puzzle pieces for a generic
solution, but so far not a complete picture:

1. There're frozen modules support, but they're that - modules,
packages not supported for freezing so far.

2. Then frozen modules require recompiling, and that's not real-world
scalable.

3. Standard library is already "distributed" (vs CPython's monolithic),
but half of modules are dummy so far.

That said, making a demo of self-contained webapp server in 350-400K is
definitely on my TODO list (package support for frozen modules is the
only blocker for that).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com