[Python-Dev] Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 29 00:38:44 CEST 2015

On 29 May 2015 00:52, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. The new embeddable Python distribution for Windows is a great step
> forward for this. It's not single-file, but it's easy to produce a
> single-directory self-contained application with it. I don't know if
> there's anything equivalent for Linux/OSX - maybe it's something we
> should look at for them as well (although the whole "static binaries"
> concept seems to be fairly frowned on in the Unix world, from what
> I've seen).

Correct - in the absence of the capacity to rebuild and redeploy the world
at the click of a button, widespread deployment of static binaries poses an
appallingly high security risk. It isn't an accident that Linux container
orchestration is co-evolving with Linux container formats.

Those efforts are mostly focused on network services & GUI applications,
though. For portable console applications, Go is still one of the nicest
options currently available, as the relatively limited ability to
interoperate with the system provided C/C++ libraries makes it much harder
to create dependencies between the app and the platform. It's similar to
Java in that respect, but without the dependency on a large language
runtime like the JVM.

In that vein, it might be interesting to see what could be done with
MicroPython in terms of providing a lightweight portable Python runtime
without CPython's extensive integration with the underlying OS.

Cheers,
Nick.